Sunday, April 10, 2011

Trust

As I mentioned in the first post of this blog, "my own" has lots of baggage.  But here's the thing.  I am the one starting this group.  As far as I know, I'm also the only one in it with pastoral training.  I don't say that as some sort of ego boost, but only to set up the fact that you choose the spiritual director that you follow.  Any church would be like this as well- I don't have to tell you that.

But I want to be up front about it.  Am I interested in starting a little cult where I make all the decisions?  No.  But would this group be flavored and affected by who I am?  Of course.  And that's to be expected.  In fact, continuing with the local market metaphor, one could say it's to be celebrated.  You like local places BECAUSE there's a real person at the center of it.

But it does involve a bit of trust.  Spirituality is a personal thing, something hard to talk about.  Certainly something hard to take advice about.  This group is never going to be about penance:  the idea of the priest as some sort of go-between giving you a message about God's punishment for you (apologies to former RC's who object to my wording- I've never been).  But rather, about each of us pursuing our own way to God.

That sounds pluralistic to me, so let me say right now, that I believe in Jesus.  That's my angle.  I'm not doing this to secretly make anyone "born again", but I do follow Jesus and if asked, it's what I would advise others to do.  I am not proposing a pan-theistic group composed of various religions.  I would make a pretty poor advisor for that.  And in fact, I wouldn't want to start that- it sounds watered down.

However, do I know the basic tenants of other faiths?  Have I studied other faiths than Christianity?  Have I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (that's kind of a joke- but yes, twice)?  Yes.  Could I find you a place to connect with other kinds of churches?  Sure.  Would I hate you for pursuing them?  No.  THAT is what I mean by "our own way to God".

No comments:

Post a Comment